A textbook usage fee will be assessed to all students depending on the number of credits that student registered for. All students will be assessed the fees regardless of whether textbooks are required in the class or not. (Example: Some classes may require the use of CD’s in place of textbooks.) Books will be provided on a textbook usage basis ONLY. All students will be charged a textbook usage fee, as outlined in the TMCC catalog.


TMCC has available a Financial Counselor to help students with various financial issues. Students can receive assistance in filling out financial aid forms, developing budgets, and adjusting to living costs associated with being a student. The financial counselor also will be providing financial education to individual students and groups of students.

For more information or assistance in this area, please contact LeeAnn DeCoteau by email at or by phone at (701) 477.7889.


A student who is a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe or band may apply for grants-in-aid administered by the Employment Assistance Program within the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). Each student must apply early each year through the BIA agency office where he/she is enrolled. Students must be PELL eligible to receive this assistance.

Helpful Financial Aid Information


The Veteran’s Administration is authorized by law to provide a wide range of benefits to a student who has served his/her country in the Armed Forces and to his/her dependents. Veterans may be eligible for educational benefits under the G.I. Bill which provides grants, loans and work assistance.

There are basically four programs available to veterans. The Chapter 32 V.E.A.P. (Veteran’s Education Assistance Program) which is a contributory educational plan for those who entered active military service after December 31, 1976 and before July 1, 1985. The Chapter 30 or Montgomery G.I. Bill is for those who entered active duty after July 1, 1985. A veteran must have an honorable discharge to be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits. There are also Chapter 35 benefits for dependents of veterans and Chapter 1606 benefits available for students under the Montgomery G.I. Bill-selected reserve. This does not have the effect of law, so for further information it is best to contact the Veteran’s Administration at toll free 1-800-827-1100.

If, at any time, an individual who is using his/her entitlement is failing to maintain satisfactory progress (see Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress in this catalog), the Veteran’s Administration will be notified within 30 days of the occurrence.

  • WIOA

This program helps the job-seeking and dislocated worker with job training or educational opportunities. This funding is a supplement to the Pell Grant. A student can contact North Dakota Job Service at 701-662-9300.


  • Tribal Scholarship Program


  • Available for students who are children or a spouse, under age 35 and in good academic standing, of a Turtle Mountain Community College employee
  • Awarded to students who are Tribal Members of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians and who do not receive financial aid from any sources

Work Opportunity

  • Federal College Work Study (FCWS)

The Federal College Work Study (FCWS) program provides funding for undergraduate students who need financial assistance. The FCWS program provides students an opportunity to earn money to help pay their educational expenses. The student must complete the FAFSA to be considered for this program. The FCWS program is a campus-based program that is administered through the Director of Financial Aid. Any student who desires employment is potentially eligible for the college work study program. In order to qualify, a student must be enrolled, have an unmet financial need, and meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements. To apply, students should contact the Financial Aid Office immediately. They also need to indicate that they are interested in student employment when they complete the FAFSA. When a student enters a work-study position, a job description and terms-of-employment handbook must be read by both the supervisor and employee. The handbook must be signed and dated by both the student and the supervisor and returned to the Director of Financial Aid. The student must also present two forms of identification to the Business Office, along with a W-4. The Director of Financial Aid will provide an orientation for those students that are selected to participate in the Federal College Work Study Program.