Credits, Grades & Honor Points


Credits, Grades & Honor Points


The college functions on the semester plan. All academic work is completed in terms of semester credit hours. The semester hour is the unit of credit and represents one hour of class instruction or two hours of directed laboratory work per week for a term of sixteen weeks. (Some Career & Technical Education programs are exceptions to this policy.) A class period usually involves 50 minutes, except for directed laboratory work. Exact distribution of time may vary with the type of course. Check with the class schedule for reference.


All study for credit is recorded by letter symbols, each of which carries a value in honor points per credit hour. The grading system and honor point scale is as follows:


Honor Points


Grade Interpretation Per Credit Hour

A Excellent 4
B Above Average 3
C Average 2
D Below Average 1
P Passing 0
F Failing, no credit granted 0
The Mark of “I” represents:     Incomplete
The Mark of “AU” represents:     Audit
The Mark of “N” represents:     No credit(CEU course[s] only)
The Mark of “S” represents:     Satisfactory
The Mark of “U” represents:     Unsatisfactory
The Mark of “W” represents:     Withdrew
The Mark of “*” represents:     Course Repeated
The Mark of “WIP” represents:     In Progress


Grade Point Average


The grade point average (GPA) for regular credit courses is computed by dividing the total number of honor points earned by the total number of earned credits . This average is used to students as a minimum qualification for graduation. Credits with a grade of, “W”, “P,” “N,” “AU,” “S,” or “U” are not included in computing the GPA.



Caculation of Grade Point Average


At the conclusion of each semester, a student will be evaluated by using the cumulative or total grade point average based on the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress. If the student fails to maintain satisfactory progress, the student will be placed on probation, or suspension. When a student is placed on probation they are required to meet standards of satisfactory academic progress the following semester or they will be suspended.



CLEP Policy (College Level Examination)


Turtle Mountain Community College does not give the CLEP test, but a student may transfer CLEP credits into the institution. See the Admissions/Records Technician for CLEP information.



Pass/Fail Grading System/Regular Credit Courses


A student may elect to take courses for Pass/Fail grades under the following conditions:


  1. Consent of the advisor and the instructor must be obtained for complete registration.
  2. A student may register for only one pass/fail course per semester.
  3. A maximum of 12 semester hours of “P” grades from Turtle Mountain Community College will be accepted toward an Associate Degree for any (period).
  4. Pass/Fail may be used only for elective credit, with the exception of Supervised Occupational Experience (SOE).


A student should understand it may be difficult to have courses with pass (“P”) grades accepted in transfer to another institution of higher education. The “P” indicates that the credit earned counts toward the total credits required for graduation. However, the credits with the grade of “S”, “P,” “N,” or “AU” are not used in the calculation of the grade point average.



Continuing Education Units (CEU) Pass/No Credit Grading System


The CEU will appear with a “P” for pass, or “N” for no credit on the student transcript. CEU’s cannot be used to satisfy graduation or Financial Aid requirements. CEU’s may not transfer to another institution (see Continuing Education Division). They are issued to certify successful participation in specific workshops, courses, or training programs for resume or job application verification. Cultural, social, civic groups, agencies, and business and industrial organizations are encouraged to make their training needs known to Turtle Mountain Community College. Ten (10) hours of classroom training is equivalent to one (1) CEU credit.



Incomplete Grade Policy


The mark “I” is assigned to a student who has been in attendance and has done satisfactory work within three weeks of the close of the semester and whose work is incomplete for reasons acceptable to the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the incomplete. The student must get an incomplete card from Student Services and then negotiate the incomplete with the instructor. If the instructor allows the student to receive an incomplete, the instructor then returns the card to the Registrar when final grades are submitted.


Under extenuating circumstance such as those stated, an instructor may submit an incomplete card for the student. The following circumstances are considered extenuating:


  • Student is hospitalized or under doctors orders to stay home and is unable to get to the college to fill out the form.
  • The student is incarcerated.
  • There is a death in the immediate family, defined in the TMCC personal policy manual.


When the instructor submits the “I” grade, he/she also submits a letter grade, which reflects the student’s progress to that point. In the next semester of residence (and before one calendar year), the student must fulfill the course requirements. This must be done by the end of the sixth week in order to receive a grade other than the one that was submitted with the “I.” The six-week stipulation does not apply to the Summer Session.


At the end of one calendar year, and if the student has not re-enrolled, the “I” will automatically be changed to the letter grade submitted by the instructor. Students are not notified when incomplete grades are changed.


Course Repetition


Students may repeat Turtle Mountain Community College courses taken in residence in which they have a grade of D or F. Repeated courses must be taken in residence and can only repeat Turtle Mountain Community College courses. If a student receives a failing grade in any course, the course should be repeated the next time the course is offered. (Courses that were taken in the quarter system cannot be repeated in the semester system.) A course, once recorded cannot be removed from the record. When a course is repeated only the last grade earned and credit earned will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average. A repeated course will be indicated on the transcript with asterisk “*” or “R” next to it. Students will not be allowed to repeat courses that they received a grade of “B” or better. A student may be allowed to repeat a course that received a “C”, but only by written approval of the registrar. Courses where the student received a “C” or better will not be covered under federal financial aid for that term.



Deficiencies/Unsatisfactory Progress Report


The instructor makes deficiencies or reports of unsatisfactory progress of a student at intervals throughout the semester. The retention technician sends the student the deficiency. Copies of the reports may be sent to Student Support Services, advisors, or funding agencies who may call the deficient student for a conference. It is the student’s responsibility to keep informed of his/her own performance in a course. If a student receives a deficiency notice the student is required to contact the instructor who sent the notice.



Grade Reports


Grade reports are mailed to the student at the end of each semester by the office of the Registrar. Grade reports may be withheld from a student who has not satisfied all entrance requirements. Grade reports will be held if the student has not returned all library materials, has not returned all textbooks by the end of the semester, or has financial obligations at the institution.



Grade Change


A grade change may be made up to three weeks into the following semester of receiving the grade regardless of enrollment status. A grade change may be made for the following reasons:


  • There has been a calculation error in computing the grade.
  • The wrong grade was posted to the grade roll.
  • To re-evaluate a previous grade with no additional work submitted.


A grade change should not be made if a student completes any additional work beyond the end of the semester or term. Students who do work beyond the end of the semester or term should request to have an Incomplete. A previous grade cannot be changed to a “W” (official withdrawal). If the student had extenuating circumstances, the student should file a petition for withdrawal with the Academic Affairs Committee.


To initiate the grade change process, the student needs to contact the instructor of the course. The grade change cards are located in the Registrar’s office and may only be given to faculty and processed by faculty. The card is then properly filled out and returned to the Registrar for approval and processed. Processing time usually takes 3-5 days.


Student Academic Review Process


The Academic Affairs Committee has been established for students who encounter situations involving extenuating circumstances, or emergencies potentially affecting their educational records, that fall outside the realm of normal TMCC policy and procedure. Students may petition to be withdrawn from a class after the drop deadline for non-academic emergencies, such as a serious injury or illness, death in the family, and under some circumstances, employment. The general principle of a late withdrawal is a non-academic circumstance that is outside of the student’s control, when that emergency has caused the student to miss more class time and work than the student can make up. Students are encouraged to initiate this process within one year of the semester or term in question. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the necessary supporting information from the instructor, physician, employer, etc., to accompany the request. The decision made by the Academic Affairs Committee will be based on the extenuating circumstances that are involved in the petition. Consequences the student may face, either real or perceived, are not usually reasons for an exception.


Procedures for Filing Petitions:


  • Write a letter to the Academic Affairs Committee giving a short explanation of the extenuating circumstance or emergency. List events in proper sequence, using dates where possible. The semester in question needs to be clearly defined along with the course number and title of courses the student is petitioning.
  • When circumstances involve a physician, counselor, employer, etc., have that person write a letter supporting your extenuating circumstance or emergency. This letter needs to be on official letterhead and submitted along with the student letter.
  • If requesting to add a course after the last day to add the student will need to submit a letter of support from the instructor approving the late add.
  • Return the above to the Registrar’s office to be presented to the Academic Affairs Committee.
  • The student will notified in writing of the appeal decision.


Honor Roll


To qualify for all levels of the Honor Roll, a student must be registered for a minimum of 12 regular credit hours. Any course with a grade of “P” or “S” is not calculated in the grade point average, as a “P” or “S” generates no honor points. A student with a 4.00 GPA will be placed on the President’s Honor Roll. A student with a 3.50 to 3.99 GPA will be placed on the Dean’s List. A student with a 3.0 to 3.49 GPA will be placed on the Honor Roll. The Honor Roll is published each semester.



Transcript Policy


Transcript requests must be submitted in writing. Either a completed “transcript release” form or a letter bearing the student’s signature and social security number can be used. According to Federal Law telephone requests cannot be honored nor can requests by relatives or friends of a student. A request for a transcript of credits by a student who is in debt or has a hold placed on his/her record for unreturned books or items to Turtle Mountain Community College will not be honored until the debt is paid or the items are returned or compensation is made. Each transcript includes the student’s entire academic status. Turtle Mountain Community College does not fax official transcripts. An official copy of a transcript is never released directly to the student. A student who desires transcripts of course work earned elsewhere must order official transcripts from the institution at which the course was taken. Turtle Mountain Community College does not issue or certify copies of transcripts from other institutions. A $2.00 fee is assessed for transcripts. This fee must be paid at the business office before any transcript request will be processed. Official transcripts are processed on Wednesday and Friday of each week. Updated transcripts will not be available for at least two weeks after grades are submitted to Student Services. Transcripts will be withheld from a student who has not satisfied all entrance requirements, if the student has not returned all library materials, has not returned all textbooks, or has financial obligations at the institution.



Academic Bankruptcy


Turtle Mountain Community College has a policy for allowing a student who has experienced academic problems to apply to the Academic Affairs Committee in writing for Academic Bankruptcy. Academic Bankruptcy is designed for the student who had an extremely poor start academically. Without this program, students in this situation would not have a second chance to pursue their educational goals. Students may apply for Academic Bankruptcy only after they have exhausted their probationary status and have sat out the required term or terms their suspension dictates. The consequences of Academic Bankruptcy are: No credit is counted from previous transfer course work. All courses and grades will remain on the transcript, but will not be used in calculating the cumulative GPA.


  1. Academic Bankruptcy will only be granted once throughout academic career at Turtle Mountain Community College.
  2. Bankruptcy does not clear an individual’s record of previously attempted credits and grade point average for Title IV funding.
  3. A student who is using Veterans Administration benefits must consult his/her veteran’s representative before he/she uses this policy.


For more information, please see the TMCC catalog, or visit the Student Services office.