EMPLOYMENT AT TMCC
Position: Assistant Cook
Accountable To: Cook
Opening Date: March 12, 2018
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: $10.41 – $11.31/hr
SUMMARY OF WORK:
Assist the Cook in preparing and cooking a variety of foods that require both planned and short preparation time. Taking orders from customers and serving patrons at the counter. This is a regularly scheduled part time position (up to 25 hours/week), but may be required to work more hours in the absence of the cook for scheduled vacations, sick leave, etc.
Assistant Cook assists in maintaining high standards in all areas of safety, security and sanitation. Follows up on all maintenance, cleaning and necessary repairs. Provides meals and assists Cook with daily specials.
Nature of Work:
The Assistant Cook assists the Cook with adherence to all regulations related to food preparation and serving. Understands importance of freshness of product, proper handling and storage of food, proper use of techniques and cooking procedures, taste, portion size and presentation. Knowledge of standards of food preparation, serving and kitchen procedures.
The Assistant Cook is responsible for being a part of a cohesive team within the kitchen and providing customer service to patrons.
The Assistant Cook will be supervised by the Cook.
- Work together as part of kitchen team
- Work with Cook to receive and store food and supplies
- Complete orders from steam tables, places food on plates, serves customers at tables or counters
- Prepares and cooks food as ordered by customers or for meetings
- Accepts payments and makes change or writes charge slips as necessary.
- Prepares quotes for meals for special events
- Orders food and groceries
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment safely.
- Insures sanitation and safety standards are met.
- Inspects food supplies for detioration and reports findings to supervisor.
- Provides superior customer service.
- Supervises college work study students
- Creates menus
- Cleans food prep equipment, work areas and counters or tables
Knowledge: Exhibit cooking abilities. Must be able to perform duties of all kitchen positions. Training and experience in cooking for groups. Ability to work well with others.
Skills: Experience in food preparation and cooking. Grill and deep fryer experience helpful. Experience preparing food for large groups helpful.
Abilities: Able to stand for extended periods of time. Experience in high volume sales. Ability to lift and unload food and supplies up to 50 pounds. May be required to work occasional evenings or weekends for special events.
- Associates degree; OR
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a cook in a restaurant or short order setting
How to apply:
Submit a letter of application, resume AND online application (available below); copy of college transcripts (must indicate highest degree earned); and three (3) current letters of reference. Work experience must be reasonably documented. Applicants claiming Indian Preference (CDIB) and/or Veterans Preference (DD214) must provide documentation.
Employment Application (1.41 MB PDF)
PLEASE NOTE: INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Holly Cahill, Human Resource Director
*Turtle Mountain Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability. It is the general policy of the college to give preference to qualified American Indian applicants as allowed by the Indian preference provisions of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended.
Persons who are at least ¼ degree and wish to claim Indian preference must submit a copy of their tribal Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) and Agency enrolled.