Close this search box.


Who should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal FAFSA?

All students who have applied for admission and are requesting financial assistance from TMCC.

Are there Deadline dates for completing the FAFSA?

Yes. For priority consideration, you should submit FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID )FAFSA) as soon as of October 1st of the year before you will be attending college. This is because both colleges award some kinds of aid on a first come first serve basis. The Pell Grant is not subject to this deadline date.

When will I receive an Award Letter?

Early FAFSA applicants can begin receiving award letters in June if all documents have been received to complete their financial aid file. If your FAFSA was processed after July 1st, you may receive your Award Letter 4 – 5 weeks after the college receives your application information. Keep in mind that the later you file your FAFSA, the more likely there will be a delay in the processing of an Award Letter and receiving your funding on the first disbursement for the semester. The delay results from a high number of students waiting until registration for classes to complete financial aid applications.

When should I update my address?

As soon as you move notify Student Services of your new address. Let Student Services know when your phone number or email address have changed, also.

Should I update my marital status on my FAFSA?

For the current academic year, you may not update your status from single to married after you have completed the FAFSA. However, you may update your status from married to separated/divorced by writing a letter and providing documents to the Financial Aid Director requesting a change in your marital status.

How do I know if I’m a dependent or independent student?

If you must answer “No” to all the questions in Section 3 of the FAFSA, you are a dependent student. If you can answer “Yes” to any of the questions in Section 3, you are an independent student. Note: Students living on their own and/or parents not claiming the student on their tax return does not make a student independent.

If I am a dependent student and do not live with my parents, can I use someone else’s income information on my FAFSA?

No. The Federal Student Aid regulations mandate that students’ use parents’ income unless they are legally adopted by someone other than the parent or until the student is determined independent by the questions in Section 3 of the FAFSA application.