9 Month Certificate
The 9-month certificate in cyber security prepares individuals for demanding positions in public and private sectors overseeing, operating, or protecting critical computer systems, information, networks, infrastructures and communications networks.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Analyze, design, install, configure, and troubleshoot network & system hardware and operating systems.
- Identify risks, assess threats, and develop effective countermeasures aimed at protecting organizational assets on-premise and in the cloud.
- Demonstrate the legal and technical aspects of a cybercrime investigation and the application of computer forensic tools.
Skills and Knowledge
- Monitor their organization’s networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
- Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
- Prepare reports that document security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
- Conduct penetration testing, which is when analysts simulate attacks to look for vulnerabilities in their systems before they can be exploited
- Research the latest information technology (IT) security trends
- Develop security standards and best practices for their organization
- Recommend security enhancements to management or senior IT staff
- Help computer users when they need to install or learn about new security products and procedures
According to the Cyber Crime Magazine, the top 10 percent of cybersecurity analysts make over $117,000 per year, while the median annual salary is $76,000.New data indicates that of all IT jobs, cybersecurity engineers — with an average annual salary of $140,000 — were the highest paying and most recruited heading into 2019.
There are no special requirements for admission into these programs. Please refer to the TMCC Admission section for future students.
Suggested Sequence of Courses – 9 month Certificate
Required Courses (32 Credits)
- CIS 141 Introduction to Cybersecurity 3
- CIS 162 Operating Systems 3
- CIS 164 Network Fundamentals I 3
- CIS 215 Microsoft Windows Server 3
- CIS 219 Hardware Repair & Maintenance 4
Total Semester Credits 16
- BOTE 177 Job Readiness 1
- CIS 165 Network Fundamentals II 3
- CIS 168 Firewalls & Network Security 3
- CIS 220 Linux Administrator I 3
- CIS 241 Introduction to Digital Forensics 3
- CSCI 101 Introduction to Computers 3
Total Semester Credits 16
Total Required Credits 32
Course Description ( 7 MB PDF)