9 Month Certificate
The 9-month certificate in cyber security prepares individuals for demanding positions in public and private sectors overseeing, operating, or protecting critical computer systems, information, networks, infrastructures and communications networks.
- Evaluate the computer network and information security needs of an organization.
- Assess cyber security risk management policies in order to adequately protect an organization’s critical information and assets.
- Measure the performance of security systems within an enterprise-level information system.
Skills and Knowledge
- Monitor their organization’s networks for security breaches and investigate a violation when one occurs
- Install and use software, such as firewalls and data encryption programs, to protect sensitive information
- Prepare reports that document security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches
- Conduct penetration testing, which is when analysts simulate attacks to look for vulnerabilities in their systems before they can be exploited
- Research the latest information technology (IT) security trends
- Develop security standards and best practices for their organization
- Recommend security enhancements to management or senior IT staff
- Help computer users when they need to install or learn about new security products and procedures
Employment of cyber security is projected to grow 28 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for information security analysts is expected to be very high, as these analysts will be needed to create innovative solutions to prevent hackers from stealing critical information or causing problems for computer networks.
There are no special requirements for admission into these programs. Please refer to the TMCC Admission section for future students.
Suggested Sequence of Courses – 9 month Certificate
- Required Courses
- CIS 128 Microcomputer Hardware I 3
- CIS 129 Microcomputer Hardware II 3
- CIS 141 Introduction to Cyber Security 3
- CIS 162 Operating Systems 3
- CIS 164 Network Fundamentals I 3
- CIS 165 Network Fundamentals II 3
- CIS 177 Job Readiness 1
- CIS 215 Microsoft Windows Server 3
- CIS 220 Operating Systems – UNIX 3
- CSCI 101 Introduction to Computers 3
Total Required Credits: 31