EMPLOYMENT AT TMCC
Women’s Basketball Coach
Position Title: Women’s Basketball Coach (Seasonal, Part-time)
Opening Date: June 12, 2017
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: $11,000 per season
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree in Physical Education and Coaching or related field required. Must have a minimum of four successful years coaching female students. Ability to work well with female students. Must have or be able to obtain a valid ND driver’s license. Good oral and written communication skills. Proper training techniques in the treatment and prevention of injuries. Proven positive attitude towards work and people.
Primary Function: Serves as the head female basketball coach for the Turtle Mountain Community College. Plans and schedules games with other two year and four year (junior varsity level) colleges, and trains and coaches all student athletes during the duration of the basketball season.
- Is responsible for the supervision of all student athletes during the course of athletic training, practices and games.
- Works with the Athletic Director and other coaches in being responsible for keeping inventory of all assigned equipment handed out at the start of the season and returning inventory at the conclusion of the season.
- Responsible for equipment maintenance and upkeep, and the ordering of equipment for female basketball players.
- Attend rules and coaching clinic as required.
- Works with Student Services and instructors in maintaining the eligibility of student athletes.
- Responsible for the reporting of game scores to the local media, radio and local newspapers.
- Responsible to assure all student athletes are physically able to participate in basketball.
- Assists and/or is responsible for the scheduling of all home and away games, and the scheduling of home game officials.
- Assists and/or is responsible for the payment of all game officials.
- Assists the Athletic Director in the planning and scheduling for future participation in a junior/community college basketball conference.
- Responsible for the submitting of trip, meal, and lodging requests to the Athletic Director or the Business Office in a timely manner.
- Helps the Athletic Director or is responsible for the preparation and submittal of a yearly budget by late May of each year.
- Recruits (face-to-face contact, mail, etc.) high school student athletes from the surrounding area to attend and to play basketball at TMCC.
- Conducts an evaluation of performance of the assistant coach (if applicable).
- Assists in determining the female basketball staff.
- Responsible for scheduling and assuring that the proper help (officials, game clock, security, supervision, ticket takers, etc.) is available and present at all home games.
- Knowledge and application in the treatment of injuries.
- Assure that all travel arrangements (i.e. vehicles) are made prior to all away games.
- Prepare and determine the requirements, responsibilities, rules, and expectations, and communicate this to all student athletes prior to the start of the initial practice session and reminders throughout the season.
- Provide to the Athletic Director and President a written report on the basketball season which includes ways to improve the program.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Follow and enforce student policies currently in place relevant to athletic participation.
- Actively participate in fund-raising efforts to secure supplemental monies for the TMCC athletic program.
- Provides assistance to the Athletic Director in becoming a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association by July 2018.
- Conducts summer basketball camps as a way to raise money for the basketball program.
- Promotes programs with community organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Major Planning Requirements:
- Organizes, plans, develops and implements a basketball program for female students attending TMCC.
- Successfully plans for all home and away basketball games.
- Helps plan for the future participation in a regional basketball conference for female student athletes.
- Plans all basketball practices to the extent student athletes get the maximum benefit for such experiences.
- Plans and implements a code of conduct for all student athletes, and communicates this to all athletes.
- Reports to the Athletic Director.
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with all coaches and game officials TMCC is associated with.
- Develops and maintains a strong and positive working relationship with all student athletes.
- Develops and maintains a strong and positive working relationship with all employees at TMCC.
Term of Employment:
- This position is seasonal and runs the length of basketball season, including the AIHEC basketball tournament.
- This position is not full time and is not eligible for benefits.
- Must be able to work long hours during games, especially those away games.
- Will require a certain amount of standing for long periods of time.
- Position may at times be stressful.
- Requires travel to other colleges for games.
How to Apply
Application Packet / Submission: To be considered for open positions at TMCC, prospective applicants must submit an Application for Employment, cover letter, curriculum vitae and/or resume, college transcripts, three current (within 1 year) letters of reference, and, if applicable, enrollment documentation from a federally recognized tribe and/or veterans preference. Full time regular employees who apply for a position within the college will receive 5 in-house preference points. Required licensure/certification as specified in the position vacancy announcement is also required.
The packet will be determined to be incomplete if any required documents are missing; thus the application will not be considered.
All completed applications must be submitted to the Human Resource Manager who will determine which applicants meet qualification requirements per vacancy announcement.
Employment Application (1.41 MB PDF)
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
For more information on any of these positions please contact:
Holly Cahill, Human Resources Manager
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy
The Turtle Mountain Community College is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, or handicap. In adhering to this policy the college abides by the requirements with the Title IX, Education amendments of 1972; with Title VI and VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act; by section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975. Questions or comments may be referred to Holly Cahill, Human Resources Manager, Turtle Mountain Community College PO BOX 340, Belcourt, ND 58316 (701)477-7809, or the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 10220 North Executive Hills Blvd., 8th Floor, Kansas City, MO 64153-1367.