EMPLOYMENT AT TMCC
Business Instructor – CTE (Career Technical Education)
Position Title: Business Instructor, CTE
Contract Term: 9 Month Academic Year
Funding Source: NACTEP
Accountable to: Career & Technical Education Director
Opening Date: June 6, 2017
Closing Date: July 6, 2017
Salary: $36,736 (minimum)
Summary of Position: This position is to provide post-secondary, learner-centered instruction in business as a member of an instructional team of full-time and adjunct instructors. To instruct and facilitate meaningful learning in the course competencies in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the learning environment. Encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility, life-long learning, as well as personal and professional development.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff and faculty in the development and accreditation of Business curriculum.
- Recruit, mentor, and evaluate a capable and diverse faculty.
- Assist in planning course schedules.
- Conduct program financial planning (fiscal responsibility of program).
- Teach courses for the Business program.
- Facilitate problem solving sessions for the program.
- Recruit students interested in Business careers and supporting that interest through academic advising, career counseling, and financial aid.
- Research best practices and incorporating them into curriculum.
- Participate in the continued accreditation of the program.
- Develop hybrid and online courses.
- Prepare for and/or instruct classes, developmental to advanced, in the discipline of Business.
- Examples of the types of courses typically assigned include: Business Communications, Spreadsheet, and Leadership.
- Communicate expectations and establish clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means to include, but not limited to, developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instruction process.
- Maintain office hours to provide availability and accessibility to students for the purpose of academic advising, consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication.
- Coordinate outreach, recruiting and marketing activities with the community and other institutions and agencies.
- Evaluate student progress and provides clear, timely, feedback.
- Monitor student data and make recommendations and changes based on the findings.
- Conduct and monitor student assessment to measure effectiveness of instruction.
- Participate in the institutional initiative involving the assessment of student learning.
- Review and advise regarding course texts as needed.
- Develop new courses and curricula as needed.
- Assist with providing book and material advice and development for the college library.
- Develop and follow an “Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP)” as prescribed by TMCC’s faculty salary policy manual.
- Conduct research in content areas as applicable to position and TMCC.
- Order appropriate equipment and supplies needed for curriculum labs and course instruction.
- Work with department colleagues to develop or modify the curriculum for a degree or certificate program involving a series of courses.
- Develop instructional materials within the guidelines of college requirements.
- Work effectively and cooperatively with colleagues in the department and possibly other departments; contribute to ongoing curriculum and program development and assessment.
- Effectively maintain and manage the classroom.
- Create a vibrant and learner-centered teaching atmosphere.
- Carry out the mission of the institution, to include incorporating the local culture throughout the curriculum.
- Maintain a professional, courteous attitude and demeanor in all instances when working with students, and when acting as a representative for TMCC.
- Read and communicate using Google email; use TMCC’s Jenzabar and Canvas learning management systems, effectively search the Internet for information, use MS Word and other office software; and technologies and applications.
- Respect student’s rights to confidentiality and follow legal guidelines regarding information.
- Prepare and submit program progress reports to supervisor.
- Attend all college-wide functions.
- Participates in department and institutional meetings and committees, or other activities within the scope of the position.
- Attend annual student graduation ceremony.
- Coordinate/participate in outreach, recruiting and marketing activities with the community and other institutions and agencies.
- Assist/participate with faculty development initiatives.
- Assist with facilitation of sub-departmental meetings for all adjunct to discuss, review, and revise course curricula.
- Assist Program Chair and Department Chair with other administrative responsibilities as needed.
- Other administrative tasks as needed.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATION (Minimum Qualifications)
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Business preferred, Bachelors in Business requuired.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that tribal community colleges serve in higher education and specifically its mission, values, goals, culture, and objectives of the Turtle Mountain Community College.
- Willing and able to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as necessary.
- Work collegially with all individuals in the tribal college setting.
- Applicant must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience in Post-Secondary education.
- Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers, audio-visual equipment, other relevant technology and software.
- Ability to competently advise and/or serve students from a variety of background, respecting cultural and socio-economic differences.
- Able to implement contemporary educational philosophies, methods, and techniques including multi-media to develop and deliver instruction in classroom and lab settings.
- Successful teaching experience with culturally and academically diverse student population.
- Ability to teach and work with students with learning disabilities.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development.
How to Apply
Application Packet / Submission: To be considered for open positions at TMCC, prospective applicants must submit an Application for Employment, cover letter, curriculum vitae and/or resume, college transcripts, three current (within 1 year) letters of reference, and, if applicable, enrollment documentation from a federally recognized tribe and/or veterans preference. Full time regular employees who apply for a position within the college will receive 5 in-house preference points. Required licensure/certification as specified in the position vacancy announcement is also required.
The packet will be determined to be incomplete if any required documents are missing; thus the application will not be considered.
All completed applications must be submitted to the Human Resource Manager who will determine which applicants meet qualification requirements per vacancy announcement.
Employment Application (1.41 MB PDF)
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
For more information on any of these positions please contact:
Holly Cahill, Human Resources Manager
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy
The Turtle Mountain Community College is committed to the policy that all persons shall have equal access to its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, or handicap. In adhering to this policy the college abides by the requirements with the Title IX, Education amendments of 1972; with Title VI and VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act; by section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Age Discrimination Act of 1975. Questions or comments may be referred to Holly Cahill, Human Resources Manager, Turtle Mountain Community College PO BOX 340, Belcourt, ND 58316 (701)477-7809, or the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 10220 North Executive Hills Blvd., 8th Floor, Kansas City, MO 64153-1367.